Saturday, April 11, 2009

New vs.Old?

Ok so here is my opportunity to pretend that I am a big time magazine editor and have just gotten back from testing the newest model bikes and am sitting down to write out the article. My friend Earl and I met up and went for a nice little ride and he pulled over to ask if I wanted to trade rides for a few miles. I ride an 02 KLR650 and he has a 08 KLR650. Now for those that know these bikes they have been the same from 87-07 and the new 08 and up have new fairings, some cam and suspension tweeks. Like anything in this world we all make the things we own express our personallity a bit. My 02 is pretty close to stock it just has a few "farkles" ( KLR speak for mods) Different bars and grips and it is geared down a tooth on the front. I also have some fairly aggressive knobbies on it as well. Earls 08 looks like a beheamoth compared to mine especially since he has the aluminum panniers mounted. Other than that he has a tall windscreen for the cooler months and stock type rubber.
One of the first things I noticed as I climbed on his KLR was the more firm seat. Nice touch since I weigh 220. His bars are also further back and his grips must be a harder durometer rubber and a bit thinner. It also seemed to feel a bit lower as well. I am not sure if this is due to the fact he has his panniers full of things or that it is the result of Kawasaki lessening the suspension travel or the reduction in static sag dialed into the 08. So as I fire up the 08 all sounds and feels pretty much familiar until I go for the shifter. Diffferent placement and length. As we pull away the gearing difference is more than noticeable as I kill it like a 15 year old trying to drive his first stick car. We pull out on the highway and for the most part the power feels the same but it immedietely strikes me how much smoother it is with the Avon grippster tires on. We move along down the highway at 55 and the tall windscreen is a noticeable improvement as well as the larger fairings all together. I was also able to feel the wind pulling at the panniers behind my legs. For the most part I could tell I was riding the same motorcycle just with a few improvements. Overall I was actually looking forward to getting back on mine since it is comfortable to me and has a little more of a dirt bike feel with the small fairing and minimal wind protection. Just seems to be my style. I guess the only thing I may change on my KLR would be the seat for starters and then maybe find a way to get a little better light out of it. Good experience overall. Thanks Earl.

6 comments:

  1. It's alive! Good to see you up and enthused in your blog! The Dark Side gets pretty dark without a Bright Side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irondad-
    Thanks. I know pretty glum post a few times but it is a process. The KLR has given me some of that open freedom I have desired again for a while. Just need some riding lessons from Earl.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Di...Di...Did you just call my baby girl.......ahem.......a beheamoth?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earl-
    Remember the comment when I first attempted to get on your bike? I did not call it getting on as so much as getting "in". So she is a little more curveacious than mine. At least I can distinguish you on the road from everyone else easily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie: said, "I did not call it getting on as so much as getting "in". So she is a little more curveacious . . . "
    If riding a KLR gives you erotic thoughts then I had better go and test one out soon. No wonder you two have smiles on your face(s)

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobskoot-
    So many wrong thoughts popped into my head as I was going over how to respond to your response. I dont know that they are appropriate so I will leave them in my dirty little mind.(although Jack Riepe would have let them fly I am sure) Fun machines to ride with the versatility and good comfort.

    ReplyDelete