Sunday, March 22, 2009

My new too me scoot

Well since I have had this blog most of my posts have been about my job. I strayed a little from this in December when I decided to put down a very personal post about a tragic incident that happened back in 99. Well as the title states "Random Thoughts" I figure I will throw in a little two wheeled blog about a recent day.
Back in March of 2008 I got a call from my friend many of you know as Earl. He had a tone in his voice I recognized as excitement. He had just purchased a 2008 KLR 650 in green. I knew a little about the bikes and had more than once engaged in a conversation with him about what a good bike it would be to have. Well finally after wanting one for about 20 years he had one. When I finally got to see it I was amazed at how large it looked for a dual sport type bike. Anyway as I watch him get more into his adventures with his KLR and his continued "farkling" which is a term used a lot on KLR650.net for modifying your KLR I could not help myself but see what this dang bike was all about. So on Saturday March 7th I found me a 2002 model and picked it up. Kind of a humbling experience when you ask your friend(once again Earl) to ride your new pride and joy home for you because you are working and actually have no motorcycle endorsement. I guess the way I look at it is that I would want no one else to take that first ride on my new cycle. When we get to the house he tells me it must be re-geared because of highway rpm but the best part is he said it rode very well.
So as typical in March around here when you want it to be nice it freakin snows. It took about two more weeks for the weather to be descent enough to hop on and take a ride. So.........for the first time in knowing Earl for the last almost 20 years we got to take a ride together on our own bikes. We had talked about this for years but were never able to make it happen due to the many issues that life throws out there. Not that it was any sort of epic ride by any means but I got to share it with a good friend.
I guess to be honest I just want to tell everyone that I now have a KLR of my own and am absolutely taken by the riding experience and also that I am looking forward to many many rides with Earl. (also my dad who has a HD Road King and said he wants to ride with me but good luck keeping up) HA!

6 comments:

  1. I've decided that your bike needs bags so that mine doesn't look so huge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Charlie:
    Congrats on your new (to you) KLR. I swung over here from ET's site. I want to have one too but they are just a little too tall for me. It seems that all the dual sports are not designed for the vertically challenged. Looking forward to your adventures on 2 wheels, with or without ET.

    bob
    bobskoot: wet coast scootin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Charlie on your "new" ride. I got your link over at Earl's blog, and I wanted to come over and welcome you to the world of two wheels. I usually refer to MY rides as "road therapy" and you will soon remember that that is what it was all about.

    Since this is my first visit here, I will have to come back and peruse your your archives. If you feel like a visit to the lazy south, come over and read me sometime.

    Ride on.

    Lady R

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooops. I meant "peruse THROUGH your archives". LOL! (I really can write!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another excellent choice. I agree with Lady Ridesalot... Two wheel time is therapy time.

    You also have what many would percieve as an intriguing ocupation. I look forward to returning and hearing your latest riding or work story.

    Best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earl-
    My bike still would not look as big as yours. It is amazing once you get them next to each other how much more fairing you have. I would have to get some tank side bags and the big panniers to come close.

    bobskoot-
    Don't know how tall you are but they make a 1.5 inch lowering kit for the KLR too. Earl and I may be doing the 1 inch raise though. My friend bought a KLX250S and it is not nearly as tall. Kind of the KLRs little brother.

    Lady Ridesalot-
    I hear you on the "road thereapy". When I used to snowmobile all the time I called it "throttle therapy". Can't rea;;y call it that on a KLR but it goes great. Please feel free to check out my archives as you will see it has been mostly work oriented and a few other "adventures" thrown in. I will be looking at your site as well. Would love to come down south for a ride. Spent 4 years in NC and it was beautiful country for sure.

    ReplyDelete