Thursday, June 19, 2008

Let the Blogging begin.

Well since this is my first blog ever I guess it may turn into a silly rambling that goes nowhere as my thoughts frequently do.
I have the feeling that most of my subjects are going to be related to my profession for the simple fact it pretty much rules my life and can be interesting too.
I am a probation officer for the Spokane County Sheriffs office in good ole Spokane WA. If anybody reading this has any experience in the criminal justice system or better yet what most probation officers do, you can almost throw that out the window.
I work with offenders that are mostly on EHM or Electronic Home Monitoring for those non acronym types out there. I also deal a bit with work release offenders and the other groups that are in inmate work crews and plain old jail birds too.
The best part of my job is that I do not spend all day in an office doing referrals to treatment centers and preparing for court hearings on violations and such. I am one of a few probation officers that spends time in the field or community monitoring inmates to make sure they are complying with their probation. I am fortunate enough to have a county vehicle that I drive to and from work daily due to the fact I have to be available at all times during my work week to respond 24/7 to violations. I am very well equipped in my job with the requisite firearm as well as a x-26 taser and OC spray. I regularly wear a protective vest and operate at all times of the day whether it is arresting an offender for use of alcohol to felony warrant service.
Unfortunately, all this stuff from the outside sounds exciting, and dangerous I find the most difficult part of the job is seeing people struggle with uncontrollable addiction. I have seen my share of broken homes and hearing children cry as one of their parents are arrested on yet another violation. I think some of the most disheartening scenes are on non-violation field checks when you knock on the door and when the child sees an officer they instantly burst into tears and beg you not to take their mommy or daddy to jail.
I have so many heart breaking stories to blog about I am excited to have an outlet. On the same note I also have some very rewarding things to write about.

Until next time.

Charlie

3 comments:

  1. So which story is going to be first?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Earl-
    More than likely the current escape I have been on. Lovely 20 hour day yesterday. Or maybe the girl who thought she had a UA to do and dumped a pill bottle of pee in the bathroom with her name on it. Dunno yet. When I get a few more minutes and some sleep I will fire one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're blog sounds like it is so far removed from the normal riding blogs I frequent but does sound interesting. I'll have to check in from time to time...

    As you said a blog makes a good outlet. My own is largely a continuation of the outlet riding delivers.

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete